MRAA Opens 2017 Scholarship Application Process
Monday, July 31, 2017
Posted by: Mickaela Giese
More than $45,000 worth of training opportunities will be awarded to applicants.
MINNEAPOLIS — The MRAA Educational Foundation has kicked off the 2017 application process for its five annual scholarships, as well as the Darlene Briggs Marine Woman of the Year Award, at MRAA.com/Foundation.
The award and scholarships, which will be presented during the Marine Dealer Conference & Expo, Dec. 10-13 in Orlando, Fla., are intended to financially assist the professional development of those working in the marine industry. The deadline to submit a scholarship or award application is Sept. 30.
Retail Members of the Marine Retailers Association of the Americas and their employees can now complete online applications for the Kevin Lodder Scholarships, Duane Spader Leadership Development Scholarship, ABYC Scholarships, and the Marine Industry College Scholarship. Women from throughout the boating business are eligible to be nominated or apply for the Darlene Briggs Woman of the Year Award. And both Marine Technical Schools and Marine Trade Associations that are members of MRAA can apply for the MRAA Technical Scholarships.
“While the number of scholarships offered has grown dramatically over the years, the MRAA Educational Foundation has been contributing to the creation of a bigger, stronger and smarter workforce since its inception in 2004,” said Liz Walz, MRAA Vice President and MRAA Educational Foundation Executive Director. “By providing funding for education, the Foundation lifts up individual marine professionals, the businesses they work for and the industry as a whole.”
A nonprofit, 501(c)3 organization, the MRAA Educational Foundation has handed out more than 70 scholarships and awards collectively worth more than $170,000 over the past 14 years.
Click the links below to learn more about each of these offerings and to nominate or apply:
- The Kevin Lodder Scholarship covers the tuition and provides a travel stipend for the recipient to attend Spader Business Management's Total Management 1 Workshop.
- The MRAA Educational Foundation's Technical Scholarships are awarded to Marine Technical Schools that train students for careers in the marine industry and to Marine Trade Associations that provide financial support to their members for technical training.
- The MRAA Educational Foundation presents, annually, the Darlene Briggs Woman of the Year Award. This honor is presented to an outstanding woman who is actively involved in the marine industry.
- The ABYC Scholarships, established in 2014, cover the tuition for one recipient to attend ABYC’s Introduction to Basic Marine Electric Corrosion Protection and for another recipient to attend one of ABYC's Certification Courses.
- The Marine Industry College Scholarship, established in 2016, is intended to financially assist the training and education of those working in or planning for a career in the marine industry at an accredited college, university or post-secondary technical school.
Donations from independent donors and corporate partners make all scholarships provided by the MRAA Educational Foundation possible. To learn more about donating, or to find more information about the MRAA Educational Foundation, visit www.MRAA.com/foundation.
About MRAA Educational Foundation
As part of its mission to create a strong and healthy boating industry, the Marine Retailers Association of the Americas is committed to offering training, education and professional development opportunities to its members and the entire marine dealer community. In 2004, the association launched the MRAA Educational Foundation, a not-for-profit 501(c) 3 corporation, to provide financial support for education, training and professional development in the recreational marine trades.
About the Marine Retailers Association of the Americas
At the Marine Retailers Association of the Americas (MRAA), we believe that for the marine industry to thrive, the companies that interact with the boater in their community must thrive. Those businesses determine the boater’s experience and are the leading factor in the industry’s success. MRAA works to create a strong and healthy boating industry by uniting those businesses, providing them with opportunities for improvement and growth, and representing them with a powerful voice. For more information, visit MRAA.com.